Hogwarts: Alternate Universe
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hogwarts: Alternate Universe Forum

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cornelius The Burrowing Owl

Go down 
AuthorMessage
William Princeton

William Princeton

Cornelius The Burrowing Owl Empty
PostSubject: Cornelius The Burrowing Owl   Cornelius The Burrowing Owl EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 5:38 am

William was, like any holiday, conflicted with emotions. He was happy to be home and spending time with his grandfather, and even getting to visit his muggle grandparents, but he was also a little bit mopey. Being on holiday meant that he couldn't spend time with Tony. Perhaps it was a bit silly to be so upset on not getting to see someone he saw most of the year, but he couldn't help it. He was hopelessly in love, and people hopelessly in love acted silly at times.

His grandfather wasn't exactly happy though. "Oh just look at you." the old man huffed, spotting the sandy-blond youth sighing for the nth time. "If you long for this girl so badly you might as well send her a letter or something." He grumbled. The wizard was a little understanding of the boy's plight. After all his own son, may he rest in peace, had been the same when he had met the boy's mother. But it was a bit ridiculous really. Perhaps he would be more understanding if he knew more about this girl his grandchild was smitten with, even her name at least, but since William gave so little information he choose to be a little less sympathetic.

"I would Grandfather, but Chester is getting so old. I feel bad every time I have him send out a letter." William said, sighing once more as he looked out the window. he did his best not to wince when his grandfather had refereed to the person he was smitten with as a girl. The mad still did not know the truth of his beloved's gender. And Will still had no clue how to tell him. But I will. he thought to himself with determination. I will before I start seventh year. No matter what.

While he was lost in his thoughts of how to even begin such a task and how he wished Tony was there with him, his grandfather watched on before coming to his own conclusion. "Very well. We shall have to just go and get you your own owl." he announced, arising form his chair and heading towards the fireplace. William snapped out of his thoughts and glanced at the old man with blinking eyes both quickly following after him. He opened his mouth to speak, to question the sudden decision, but one look from his grandfather had him closing it just as quickly.

Jeremiah, William's grandfather, grabbed a handful of floo powder and stood in the fireplace. He gave a simple nod to the teenage boy before throwing it down and calling out his destination. When he disappeared among the green flames, William grabbed his own bit of floo powder and followed suit.

He tumbled out of the fireplace, barely managing to catch himself from crashing into the older man before looking about. They were in a simple shop in Diagon Alley, people rushing about on the street outside to fulfill last minute Christmas shopping. The two wizards quickly made their way out of the shoppe and onto the busy street, moving their way to Magical Menagerie. When they made it into the shoppe, they were met with the crowded space of both animals and people buying pets for children for Christmas. it was a bit hard to move through the crowds of people, but William did his best while looking about. He spotted various cats and toads, and many exotic birds and owls. But none of them caught his eye.

That was until he spotted a small brown owl with white spots that was digging a spot in his cage. Newspaper and hay were scattered about until the little thing made a small burrow to hide in. Will approached the cage with interest and watched as the small owl poked its head out of its whole. When the owl noticed him, he gave a small wave. Only to have the owl jump out and spread its wings in an attempt to be intimidating. The sight caused Will to laugh merrily and smile at the owl. Hearing the laugh and seeing the friendly smile, the owl dropped its wings and cocked it's head to the side. The look it gave could only be described as a smile, or at least as much of a smile as an owl could give. It caused Will to smile more before he began to speak to it. "Hey there little one." he said softly, watching as the bird moved about and cock its head.

"My names William. I need a pretty good Owl to send letters to someone special." he continued on. He stopped for a moment to turn his head and look behind him, only to see his grandfather a ways away trying to move through the crowds. He did not appear to pleased from the lack of ground he was making. Knowing the old man could not hear him, Will brought his attention back to the owl. "His name's Tony. And I fancy him a whole lot. Being on holiday means I can't see him and it makes me lonely." The small owl blinked at him before hopping about in its cage and giving him what Will liked to believe as a sympathetic look. "Would you like to be my owl and help me out? I think we'd get along splendidly. And I know you'd adore Tony. It's hard not to."

He was given that owlish grin once more before the little thing hooted with glee. Pleased with this, William turned to find a clerk. When he spotted one, he motioned the person over just as his grandfather made it to him as well. "I want this one Grandfather, if it's alright." The Old wizard gave his grandson an odd look, as if to say 'are you sure?', but upon seeing his grandson's stubborn determination for that owl decided not to question it and paid the clerk for the creature. William was then given instruction on what the owl, a male Burrowing Owl apparently, needed for care. The teen listened carefully, wishing to take good care of his new little friend, and then left eagerly with his grandfather in tow.

"You'll need to name him." His grandfather reminded as they made their way through the busy streets. William frowned for a moment as he tried to think of something. What should he name the little owl? It was certainly unique, with it's preference to the ground and burrowing about. In a way it was like a badger. The very thought caused him to grin, for it was as if the two were meant to be pet and owner. He was a Hufflepuff after all. Then, the memory of a muggle movie he watched as a boy with Gran-Gran and Grandpa, his muggle grandparents, came to him and Will knew what to name the little fellow. "Cornelius." he said confidently. The happy hoot from his new owl showed that he liked the name as well.

The next day, he sent Cornelius out with a letter and parcel to Tony, a happy grin upon his face.

Vid:
Back to top Go down

Cornelius The Burrowing Owl
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Hogwarts: Alternate Universe :: Out of Character :: Fan Fiction-
Jump to: